Two is One & One is None

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Sentry18, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun  

So yesterday (and today) I was working on putting lower parts kits in some stripped lowers, something I have done many many times before. I have a well stocked and set up bench with all the tools and gadgets one needs for a quick and easy AR15 build. Toward the end of the assembly I realized I had still not installed the forward pivot pin, which also means installing a spring and detent. Now I am smart enough to know that when works with things that can fly under under tension, one wears safety glasses. But apparently I was not smart enough to remember where I put my pivot pin installation tool. Oh well, those are just for convenience anyway. Or so I thought until that little detent popped out when I was sliding in the pivot pin and pushing out a plastic dowel. I heard at least one and perhaps two ricochet, none of which involved bouncing off my safety glasses. I looked all around and of course could not find it that tiny little silver thing on a gray floor (in a room that is entirely too messy). If I was not well prepared that would be the end of things for me until I could acquire another detent. Instead I went to my "Oops Kit" and pulled out a spare detent and finished the build. And let's not pretend this is the first time that Oops Kit came in handy. A good reminder to me that having spare parts is not just a luxury. Well not unless you have a whole lot more patience than I do.

Ten ese, 303tom, bargeahead and 4 others like this.
  2. Dec 2, 2017 #2

RevV

RevV

RevV

Safety glasses and an "oops kit;" smart and prepared. :)

3. Dec 2, 2017 #3

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

A good flashlight laid on the floor and rotated can sometimes locate them, IF it's on the floor..

Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

4. Dec 2, 2017 #4

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun  

If you have a man cave and think "Hey, I am going to use textured epoxy coat with paint chips for the flooring!" you will find yourself with a very durable coating that will make it very hard to find anything that you drop. It's like losing your gum in a chicken coop. :cool:

Ten ese, TMT Tactical and phideaux like this.
  5. Dec 2, 2017 #5

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

:lol:

Sentry18 likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2017 #6

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

If I ever find all them springs , in my gun room, that went flying ...I'll open a spring store.

:rolleyes:

:surrender:
    Jim

7. Jan 11, 2018 #7

CharlieW

CharlieW

CharlieW

Or a mattress factory :cool:

bargeahead likes this.
  8. Jan 11, 2018 #8

Geezer

Geezer

Geezer

If anyone is in need of an extra front pivot detent, just go outside and wait. One of mine should be by soon. I'm convinced that it's orbiting the earth. Now, I use the plastic bag trick.

9. Jan 11, 2018 #9

Frank Toth Jr.

Frank Toth Jr.

Frank Toth Jr.

If I drop something or anything I cant find I just have "The Great Finder Of All Things" , my Wife, come and locate it. She has never failed to locate the smallest part on my floor or anything on the place I cant locate. She has the Super Power, FINDING. .... :Thankyou:

10. Jan 11, 2018 #10

Greg_R

Greg_R

Greg_R

I have one of those, but it's my 13 year old granddaughter. I don't think she has ever failed to find anything she has looked for!

As to the epoxy flooring. I love mine, just did not add the chips. :pokestick:

11. Jan 15, 2018 #11

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

I have often wondered if it would be practical to assemble firearm spring parts in one of those "glove hand box" contraptions, like you see in the movies where they are handling deadly viruses or radioactive material. Of course, you would have to wear very thin surgical gloves, or no gloves at all, so that you could manipulate the small parts and springs with good dexterity.

12. Jan 15, 2018 #12

Reggaemylitis

Reggaemylitis

Reggaemylitis

Chillin' Member

Glock spring cups are the worst. I wish they would make these out of bright orange plastic instead of black.

RichR likes this.