Snap Caps

Discussion in 'Gun accessories' started by threetango, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Feb 1, 2018 #1

threetango

threetango

threetango

~~~Top~~~  

Who uses these when practice firing ?

a cap s.JPG

2. Feb 1, 2018 #2

Frank Toth Jr.

Frank Toth Jr.

Frank Toth Jr.

Never have. On Marine Corps Rifle and Pistol team dry fired sometime 4-6 hours a day, as all did. Never a problem with the guns. Rim Fires are a different animal, those I shoot REAL AMMO.

3. Feb 1, 2018 #3

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk

Well, it was worth a try.  

I use snap caps. Some gun makers are recommending them these days.
    I see you have both aluminum and plastic. Don't guess it matters to the pistol which is used... ?

:smilie flag:

4. Feb 1, 2018 #4

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42  

For training newbies on gun-safety, they are essential!
    I use them for pistols and rifles to help newbies get accustomed to handling the firearm and magazines before firing.
    Snap-caps are useless for shotguns IMHO, because they don't behave like live rounds in shell-handling or feeding.
    Live rounds and targets for those are cheap.
    If you shoot competition, dry-firing for hours each week is a given and I'm sure snap-caps reduce the stress on the firing mechanism.

But for teaching someone to load a magazine, put it into and out of a gun, cycle a round into battery, unload and clear the gun, it's really nice not to use live rounds nod.gif

VThillman and threetango like this.
  5. Feb 2, 2018 #5

rbbeers

rbbeers

rbbeers

For those unaware, there are differences between 'snap caps' and 'dummy cartridges'.

Simply stated...

[​IMG] These (and similar cartridges) are 'snap caps', which protect the firing pin and breech face during dry firing.

[​IMG] These (and similar cartridges) are 'dummy cartridges'... not 'snap caps'... and do NOT protect the firing pin or breech face during dry firing.

Dummy cartridges are used to test the action (cycling) of firearms and are generally solid metal or have metal cases to withstand the cycling 'abuse' and retain their SAAMI Standard dimensions. Dummy cartridges may also be mixed with live cartridges when shooters wish to practice clearing malfunctions during live fire practice.

Some snaps caps can be used as dummy cartridges, but plastic snap caps generally don't stand up well when used as such. Plastic snap caps last much longer if the slide is moved to the rear just far enough to reset the trigger so that the snap cap isn't ejected (cycled).

Best regards,:smilie flag:Bob

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. Feb 3, 2018 #6

SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13

SNIPER  

Yup...

[​IMG]

threetango likes this.