S&W M&P Shield .380 EZ - Hideous

Discussion in 'Pistols Forum' started by EasyCZ, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018 #1

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ  

2. Feb 8, 2018 #2

MattNH

MattNH

MattNH

I wonder if they are going to incorporate the grip safety into the the other Shield calibers. I had a Shield in .40 S&W and quite liked it, but gave it to my brother since it was the only thing I had in .40 and his duty pistol is .40 cal. I was actually thinking of another Shield in 9mm, but there are too many other things on the list first.

EasyCZ likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2018 #3

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ  

If that ridiculous grip safety is a trend, count me out. I’ll spend my hard-earned money on the vastly superior Sig P365 any day over a grip safety-equipped POS EZ Shield.

4. Feb 10, 2018 #4

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

Vastly superior? By what standard is that? Your opinion on their looks? Yeah...that's important and works for you...but otherwise, the statement is totally unsubstantiated.

Both are new firearms. If the Sig is truly "vastly superior", it will take a few years to actually prove that thesis...

Support Gunner likes this.
  5. Feb 10, 2018 #5

Retired1

Retired1

Retired1

Ridiculous grip safety? I am not a 1911A1 fan, but a grip safety has worked well on them for 100+ years. Many other reputable manufacturers besides Colt have used a grip safety on various models including Luger, Uzi, Springfield Armory, Remington, and Smith & Wesson.

I have carried a Glock daily since 1988. I also have a Springfield Armory XD9. One has no grip safety. One has a grip safety. I have no complaint with either. I believe the engineers designed both to operate safely when used properly. I can't see any way that a grip safety could be considered "ridiculous".

Sidenote: I also have a S&W Ported Performance Center Shield in .45 ACP. It does not have any visible safety. I like it. That said, I would like it equally as well if it had a grip safety like the EZ rack model has.

Which reminds me that I have a Smith & Wesson Model 40 Centennial grip safety revolver still on my bucket list of guns I would like to own before I pass on.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. Feb 12, 2018 #6

Ten ese

Ten ese

Ten ese

The grip safety on the new S&W may function just fine, BUT I think it looks ridiculous. I would not have bought it, anyway, for two reasons: 1) It's a .380, and 2) It's a S&W semi-auto pistol.

Flame retardant suit ON.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. Feb 12, 2018 #7

Retired1

Retired1

Retired1

"looks ridiculous" NO argument from me. That it does.... :eek: Just plain UGLY.

8. Feb 12, 2018 #8

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

I wonder how many “gun folks” in 1909 thought John Brownings new firearm looked ridiculous? Many I’m sure. They were used to seeing revolvers....

Personally, I find Glock’s looks to be quite bland...but function and capability trump aesthetics for me in a plastic firearm every time. The true worth of this firearm will be its reliability and ergonomics...

9. Feb 12, 2018 #9

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ  

The only good reason for a grip safety is if the firearm is an SAO, like the 1911.

There is absolutely no good reason for a grip safety on a DOUBLE ACTION ONLY STRIKER-FIRED HANDGUN. PERIOD. It’s a marketing gimmick for frightened old ladies, soccer moms, and guys who pee sitting down (no offense to our lady shooters). They’re useless and just one more moving part to go down when the SHTF.

I’ll never own a striker-fired handgun with a manual external safety, much less a lemon-squeezer.

JMHO YMMV

Helitack32f1 likes this.
  10. Feb 13, 2018 #10

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX

The problem with this post is that you state “absolutes” in the beginning of your message and end with “YMMV JMHO”. Those are conflicting ideas.

And in the middle, you put people down who have these tools as somehow weak or insecure.

So what about Rob Latham? I’ve heard him state on several occasions that several of his carry guns are different Springfield Armory XD models, which are striker fired and have grip safeties. I own an XDm and it’s a outstanding firearm that has never had a hiccup in over 5K rounds.

And the US Army just approved striker fire handguns to replace their sidearm but required an external safety. Not my cup of tea, but it’s their perogative to define the requirements of equipment they procure

So how about you get over your condescending attitude and personal bias and let the market decide what gun buyers want or don’t want? You are free to spend your money how you want...no need to disparage others who want something different.

We all get to voice opinions here, but there’s no need to be mean about them.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    EasyCZ, Dutchboy and Support Gunner like this.
  11. Feb 13, 2018 #11

Retired1

Retired1

Retired1

"YMMV" and it does!

I pee sitting down......!

1. It gives me a chance to get out of my normal macho persona and in touch with my effeminate side.
    2.Minimizing splashing makes for easier toilet cleaning.
    3. It gives me a comfy place to read my latest issue of Firearms News without interruptions.
    4. Owning a Lemon-Squeezer has the same charisma as owning a Gremlin, living in a yurt in Borneo, being a tourist in Iceland during the winter, orbiting the earth in a Russian space station, seeing how far you can go in a Tesla before you run out of battery power, SCUBA diving with sharks without a cage, running with the bulls in Spain, hanging out on a nude beach on Ibiza, and so on.

To truly get the most out of life, one must sample the unusual or offbeat.
    :flip::fun fun::lil guy::lol::pokestick::woo hoo::wink:

EasyCZ and Dutchboy like this.
  12. Feb 13, 2018 #12

Dutchboy

Dutchboy

Dutchboy

I'm certainly not posting this to criticize anyone. However, we all have different opinions, likes and dislikes. As for me, with the exception of my wheel guns, I won't own a gun that does not have an external safety affixed to it! Not only must it have a safety on it, but it must also function in the same direction! This is a result of my Law Enforcement training as well as having practice with safeties for 30 years or more. My training and practice has me instinctively flipping my thumb safety off as I draw my weapon from it's holster. Having trained and practiced on S&W 2nd & 3rd generation pistols during my LE career is a hard habit to break!

I noted earlier about safety direction, meaning that the safeties on my guns must flip in the upward direction for "off" and not down. Again, training, practice and now instinctively! For many years I admired and wanted a Beretta 84F and finally decided to get one. Beretta's are fine and outstanding pistols by anyone's standard. Unfortunately, I only kept that gun for about a month! Why, because the external safety was opposite to what I had been trained and practiced with! I just could not get use to carrying a gun wherein I had to flip the safety down for off and not up! I just did not trust myself enough to change what became second nature to me! In fact the only two guns that I'll carry are the 9mm S&W 3913 and the 380 Bersa Thunder, because the safeties are identical and function in the same direction!

I cannot and will not fault or criticise anyone who thinks differently or carries a gun differently than I. We are all different and do and like what's best for ourselves!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. Feb 13, 2018 #13

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ  

Helitack32f1 likes this.
  14. Feb 13, 2018 #14

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ  

It’s just an opinion. And, I really don’t give a rip what people think of my opinion. It’s mine. And, it’s a free country (sort of...).

If people want to spend their money on that grip-safety piece of garbage, have at.
    I.
    Don’t.
    Care.

But, I’ll never recommend it to anyone looking for a defensive firearm. There are plenty of good options out there in the single stack .380 market that feature easy-to-manipulate slides.

If my “condescending attitude” is a problem for you, so be it. But, I’m not going to change my opinion on this lawyer-inspired monstrosity.

15. Feb 14, 2018 #15

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

EasyCZ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ  

I stand corrected. Apparently the EZ isn’t striker-fired, but uses an internal hammer.

I still don’t see the point of the grip safety, but if this goofy-looking firearm gets more people shooting and better able to defend themselves, more power to them.

16. Feb 14, 2018 #16

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Manual safeties...sigh

If you got one on your gun, train to use it. Practice drawing the gun and swiping it off. It'll work great and you'll be effective.

If you don't have one, practice handling your gun safely and it'll work great too.

I like any autoloader to have one. I've been carrying an LC9 or LC9s for 6 years now. I'm well practiced with it and I like that safety. No one can tell me I'd be more effective without it, because it's my one and only handgun and I know that gun like its part of my own hand. I may own a no-safety gun in the future. I'll practice with it until I feel secure about it too, if I own one.

Can we put this safety/no safety thing to rest? Do your own thing, and do it well, safety or not...

Dutchboy, Helitack32f1 and EasyCZ like this.
  17. Feb 16, 2018 #17

VThillman

VThillman

VThillman

Geezer  

Ah, colloquial speech does change over the years. Back when the world and I were young, the safety in one of its guises was a devise used to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

EasyCZ likes this.
  18. Feb 16, 2018 #18

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Still is, VT...

Dutchboy likes this.
  19. Feb 20, 2018 at 3:04 PM #19

Gunderson

Gunderson

Gunderson

This is going to sell like hotcakes to people with weak hand issues due to arthritis and the like and need a smaller caliber, low recoil pistol. That grip safety that sticks out like a sore thumb to us is going to be a great seller for safety conscious folks who don't own/know firearms.

I wouldn't own one, if I wanted a carry 380 that size I'd look at Bersa or Beretta. But I bet the people who buy them shoot them once, and then they ride nightstand or whatever version of that fits their experience. Nothing wrong with that, I bet the feeling of safety they provide their owners will be priceless.

EasyCZ likes this.